Makes about 8 cups of Fennel Apple Soup
1 onion, minced
3 small shallots, minced
3 fennel bulbs, diced
1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fennel seed
1 quart vegetable stock or low-sodium broth
½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
½ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
DIRECTIONS OF Fennel & Apple Soup
- Gently sauté the onion and shallots in 1 tablespoon olive oil without browning them.
- Add the fennel and apple. Season with pepper.
- Stir in the fennel seeds and cover with stock. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add thyme, and season with up to ½ teaspoon salt and more pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a blender and puree, adding remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
Per Serving (1 cup): Calories 110; Total Fat 6 g; Sat Fat 0.5 g; Protein 2 g; Carbs 14 g; Fiber 4 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 260 mg